Sunday, October 26, 2008

Two Monthaversary

I will quickly pass through the topic of the Charger loss in England against the Saints. I just have a couple of comments...what is the deal with the ref's new uniforms...more importantly the stupid calls that were made. I am hating the new "unsportsman like conduct" rules..blah...make the game a robotic bore why don't you!

For those back home, one of the more disturbing things was what happened when we should have broke for commercials. Instead of the typical commercial spots we went to a studio for football commentary with Jerry Rice, another football guy and a British gentlemen. The purpose was to recap what had happened, explain it and compare it to rugby. It all makes sense, since I am sure the sport is a tad confusing for someone who has never watched it...or for those who don't have a family obsessed with the sport. (Who is going to get the bra this year? Billy again? Make sure he doesn't forget to bring the new addition that I added last year). Anyway, I was slightly annoyed by the British guy. There was nothing at all wrong with him, he was very pleasant and did a good job, but something was eating at me and I couldn't figure it out. It took me until the end of the fourth to realize what was irking me so...he was a skinny blonde guy! Every football commentator is an ex-player in some fashion, and is usually a big dude! It was just out of place. :)

I will pass to the actual topic at hand. Today has been two months exactly since I arrived in Scotland! In all honesty it seems like I have been here for a much longer time period. It is so weird how comfortable I already feel.

Last year, from August 2007 to about June 2008, was a rough year. I didn't respond to the year with obedience of heart or thanksgiving. It was very hard for me to connect spiritually, and I was "trying" to run away from my community and hide in my sorrows. I would say that truthfully, little to nill repentance happened that year.

I think I have mentioned in a past entry that whenever I am "away" from home, God always stretches and challenges me in interesting and uncomfortable ways...but ultimately He reveals more of His truth and character to me.

Basically I feel like a mirror is up to my face and left exposed is the reality of my sin. Thankfully, I have really been convicted of A LOT of things since I have arrived.

Before I left San Diego, I was hopeful that this journey would be a time to focus less on myself and really serve and love those around me. That this life here would be my mission field...that as I went about my day and schooling, I would love without an agenda...and learn the beauty in what it means to actual glorify the Lord, and to ultimately hope more for his glory than my own comfort. I have failed that big time! But I am not without hope.

As I was reading Matthew this morning, and the commentary that followed, I was challenged to look more closely at the way to combat falsity and lies. The only way to wage war successfully against my flesh is with the truth...and if I am not pouring the truth into my body, then my flesh, sinful nature, will feed off of every tantalizing object that passes by. There has been a running theme these past few weeks, in my personal study, about the idea of false prophets...I think I have written about it already.

With that said, I have been challenged this weekend to really seek the word of God...to really plunge into the Bible. I realized this weekend, running on empty, how much I NEED it! And how grateful I am for it! Reading the Bible does not save me, nothing but His grace can...but what another act of grace and mercy to give us his actual word. :)

Friends and family, my prayer right now is that I will be "others" focused. That I will think very very very little of myself and everything of Jesus and that I will have deep love, compassion and time for those in my life. That I will be sensitive to others needs and consider them better than myself. If you feel so led I would love your prayers!

----

I have spent the weekend up in Milngavie (Mil-guy) watching my nephews. It was crazy, and very tiring...but there are those moments when they wake you up, albeit 6 am, when all they want is a cuddle...and well it puts things into perspective.

I have a reading week this week...no actual seminar/class. I have two assignments due on Friday. And I am still trying to sharpen and focus my essay topics. I have applied for a job that I hope I get! I realize I have too much time on my hands and with that excess time I am anything but productive! A job would do me and my savings well! :)

So long for now. :)

No comments: